MODERN = MObility, Development and Energy use ReductioN.
In addition to encouraging sustainable mobility at the city level, the CIVITAS MODERN project aims to promote communication and interaction among the cities, among political decision makers and important stakeholders, as well as encouraging close co-operation between scientists and technicians to circulate experiences and best practice.
the four cities participating inCIVITAS MODERN are:
- Craiova, Romania
- Brescia, Italy
- Coimbra, Portugal
- Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
- Radical increased use of biofuel for public transport fleets.
- Increased use of Compressed Natural Gas, not only for public buses and fleets, but in private cars also.
- Better quality of public transport fleets.
- Fuel and energy saving through education of drivers and implementation of new technological solutions.
- Safer urban environment with a lower number of accidents and safer conditions for pedestrians.
- Decreased number of private cars circulating in the urban areass.
- Increased number of users of public transport.
- Better use of urban spaces, with a lower pressure from cars and recovery of spaces for alternative uses.
- Better communication and debate between city decision-makers and other key stakeholders, including scientists.